This church has stood for years as a sentinel, pointing men & women, boys & girls to the Heavenly way.
The church was organized under the leadership of Rev. A. W. Williams in 1902. Rev Williams was followed by the following Pastors: Rev. Bings, Rev. Gilbert, Rev Peter L. Lias and Rev. Prince M. Mount who was called to Pastor in 1957. It was under his leader ship in 1973 the current building was erected. Pastor Mount retired in 1995 at which time the church called Rev. J. Jackson in 1996. He remained pastor until Rev. Otis Raines would be called as interim pastor in Nov. 2000 to February 2001. In March 2001 the Church would call Rev. Gary L. Key. Under Pastor Key we witnessed the start of a transformation in the Congregation in both spiritual and physical growth. In March 2005 Pastor Key went home to be with the Lord. On Sunday June 26 2005 Rev. John C. Simmons was called as Pastor, and remains until this date as Pastor. Under his leadership the church has grown tremendously. We now have a Ministerial staff of seven ordained ministers, including a minister of music, three other paid musicians, one volunteer musician, a youth Pastor, a youth choir, male chorus, mass Choir and a youth usher board all very active.
St. Mary Missionary Baptist Church of Taft
Our Mission is to proclaim the Gospel of Christ and the beliefs of the evangelical Christian faith, to maintain the worship of God, and to inspire in all persons a love for Christ, a passion for righteousness, and a consciousness of their duties to God. We pledge our lives to Christ and covenant with each other to demonstrate His Spirit through worship, witnessing, and ministry to the needs of the people of this church and the community.
9:00 am Sunday School
10:00 am Worship Services
6:45 pm - 7:00 pm Prayer Meeting
7:00 pm - 8:00 pm Bible Study
Jerome K. Williams